June 17, 2018 — Elevated Styles for Every Length
No matter your length, you — yes, YOU — can pull off an it-girl special occasion hairstyle. From date night to wedding season, summer is the best time to step up your style and try something new. Here are a few of our favs. Which one will you try?
Slick It Back: Slicked back hair is having a major moment. To avoid the style from looking wet or “hard,” blow dry or curl your hair forward first, then brush it back. This will create volume and sexy movement.
Twist & Shout: Twists are a great way to upstyle short hair. Create a “dirty” feel to the hair by using product like sea salt spray or dry shampoo. Twist the hair into your desired shape and pin it in. Remember: Always criss-cross your bobby pins, as they will achieve a better hold.
Bet On Braids: Braids on short hair are an easy way to create an the vibe of an updo without the look falling apart. Simply braid whatever hair will fit, and leave the rest out as part of your look. Voila!
June 14, 2018
Hairstyles filled with flair: 3 hairstyles suitable for all your summer celebrations
It’s festival season — which calls for a bit of fun. Stylist Scott Yance from Scottfree Salon joins Real Milwaukee to show us three hairstyles suitable for all your summer celebrations.
May 17, 2018
The short hair struggle: Inspiration for any elegant event you’re invited to this summer
MILWAUKEE — Whoever said short hair can’t be styles into an up do? Stylist Scott Yance with Scottfree Salon joins Real Milwaukee with some inspiration for any elegant event you’re invited to this summer.
May 2018 — Achieving the ‘Wet Look’
Wet look hair has been a huge trend for spring, with many celebrities opting for the slick style. But this style is tricky to achieve if it is not done correctly (think greasy vs. sleek). Not to fear: You can create this look for summer parties, weddings and any fun night out with a few simple tricks and tips from the stylists at Scottfree. Here’s how!
1. Prep with an anti-frizz product: Most of these wet-looking styles actually start on dry hair and require a smooth, yet textured finish. Use an anti-frizz treatment like Kerastase Fluidissime, which assists in frizz control while allowing your natural texture to shine through.
2. Texture is key: If you weren’t born with textured hair, you can create texture with the right product, like sea salt spray. We love Sachajuan Ocean Mist Texturizing Spray.
3. Create volume near your hairline only: A big element to nailing the wet hair look is making sure your style has some volume near the front hairline and the crown area, with flatness at the back and sides. Volumizing mousse, like Sachajuan Root Lift, offers volume and hold for all hair types.
4. Choose your preferred level of hold: The hold factor of your style is what will help it transition from day into night. Using a medium-hold crème will add shine to the hair, so your wet look is chic enough for daytime but strong enough to carry you into the evening. For a bolder wet finish, a firm holding gel will give you a high shine finish without making the hair look plastered or creating a flaky finish. Kerastase Forme Fatale is a great choice.
5. Finish with a high-shine spray: A shiny sleek finish combined with a strong hold factor is exactly what is needed. Try Sachajuan Straight and Shine Spray to shine on.
April 23, 2018
The hottest looks from the red carpet: Rock Hollywood-inspired hair, but how?
MILWAUKEE — Know someone looking for the perfect hairstyle for prom? Or maybe just a glammed-up date night. Scott Yance with Scottfree Salonjoins Real Milwaukee with the hottest looks in Hollywood.
Feb. 5, 2018
Bangs are back and bigger than ever! 3 ways they can switch up your look
MILWAUKEE — Switch up your hairstyle with a bang! Baby bangs are shaping up to be one of the biggest trends of 2018. Scott Yance with Scottfree Salon joins Real Milwaukee to show us the look — and some other banging looks too.
February 2018 — Your Winter Hair Care Must List
Is your hair feeling the effects of the cold, dry winter air? Don’t fret — there are several ways to combat the harsh effects that winter has on your hair. Here are a few of our favorites:
Dry It Right: Drying your hair out completely can be a pain, especially if you have long hair. However, you should never put your hair up while it is still damp. Damp hair and scalps attract a lot of problems like dandruff, breakage and split ends. The best way to dry your hair is to gently squeeze the excess moisture out with a towel and then use a blow dryer on the cool setting. If you are using hot air to speed things up, ensure you are holding the dryer at least 8 inches away from your hair. (Above, blowout by Annaliese)
Condition Correctly: Your hair needs all the moisture it can get during the winter months, which makes conditioning a vital part of your hair care routine. Using hair oils and deep conditioning packs at least once a week is essential for maintaining the health of your hair. Always apply conditioner from the mid-lengths to the ends of your hair. Concentrate on the ends as they are the oldest and most damaged parts of your hair. Leave the conditioner in for a few minutes, then rinse it out with cool or lukewarm water.End your wash with cool water as this will seal in the moisture and leave your hair feeling smooth and looking lustrous. (Above, winter hair care picks by Krystal Burns)
Control Frizz: One of the most annoying things about winter is all of the static. To tackle this, use a vented hair brush that has a combination of plastic and boar bristles while combing your hair. Wash your hair only with lukewarm water, not hot water, as the latter will strip away the natural oils that protect and nourish your hair. Apply a leave-in conditioner to keep your hair smooth. (Above, hair by Natalia)
As always, if you have questions about the health of your hair, consult your Scottfree stylist. Your stylist knows your hair and its specific needs — and can create a program that’s personalized just for you.
Jan. 18, 2018
Dry and damaged hair: Ways to revamp your hair routine to bring back the shine
MILWAUKEE — Are you trying to fight the frizz — or maybe save your scalp? Winter brings its own set of hair woes and our stylist, Scott Yance with Scottfree Salon, joins Real Milwaukee to help you take care of them.
Jan. 5, 2018
This 80’s hairstyle is making a comeback! Here are some tips to make sure it looks modern
One of the hottest hairstyles right now is get this: crimping! And no, we haven’t traveled in a time machine back to the 80’s. Crimped, yes crimped hair is making a huge comeback this season, especially to amp up a ponytail. But there are tricks of the trade that ensure your ponytail is modern. Scott Yance of Scottfree Salon shows us how to achieve the look at home.